Here’s my experience with Grimes’ lead single, “Oblivion”:
- Read all the hype about Grimes, downloaded the album.
- Heard “Oblivion” about 3 times, didn’t think much of it.
- Watched the video, thought it was cool, then promptly forgot about it.
- Heard the song on my iPod again on the way to work 2 weeks later, thought it was pretty dang catchy in a mysterious way.
- Watched the video again and LOVED IT. Oh the dissonance! Oh the male/female dynamic! Oh the awkwardness of an indie geek in a jock’s terrain!
- Watched it yet again and developed favorite moments: when she courteously allows that guy to walk through the camera shot at 0:41; the two black dudes at 0:52 who are like “This song is super weird, and this chick is SUPER MORE WEIRD, but I’m down”; the ultimate bro doing the YMCA at 1:12; the lisp at 1:39; the return of the bro at 1:46, this time with his arm around Grimes, a chick that he NEVER would have even acknowledged in high school; whatever that dude is doing in the back at 1:58; everything that’s happening at 2:55; the collision and smile at 2:57; the swag at 3:26; the black dudes’ return at 3:30, with the guy on the left looking amused, the guy on the right looking awkward, and Grimes loving every second; and the general attitude of “These people probably think I’m insane but I don’t care, this is awesome” displayed throughout the video, but encapsulated at 3:45.
- Watched this interview, realized the lisp was not a fluke, and thought she was so weirdly cool in a natural kid of way.
- Blasted “Oblivion” non-stop ever since. Sick song, sick video.