Here’s my experience with Grimes’ lead single, “Oblivion”:
- Read all the hype about Grimes, downloaded the album.
- Heard “Oblivion” about 3 times, didn’t think much of it.
- Watched the video, thought it was cool, then promptly forgot about it.
- Heard the song on my iPod again on the way to work 2 weeks later, thought it was pretty dang catchy in a mysterious way.
- Watched the video again and LOVED IT. Oh the dissonance! Oh the male/female dynamic! Oh the awkwardness of an indie geek in a jock’s terrain!
- Watched it yet again and developed favorite moments: when she courteously allows that guy to walk through the camera shot at 0:41; the two black dudes at 0:52 who are like “This song is super weird, and this chick is SUPER MORE WEIRD, but I’m down”; the ultimate bro doing the YMCA at 1:12; the lisp at 1:39; the return of the bro at 1:46, this time with his arm around Grimes, a chick that he NEVER would have even acknowledged in high school; whatever that dude is doing in the back at 1:58; everything that’s happening at 2:55; the collision and smile at 2:57; the swag at 3:26; the black dudes’ return at 3:30, with the guy on the left looking amused, the guy on the right looking awkward, and Grimes loving every second; and the general attitude of “These people probably think I’m insane but I don’t care, this is awesome” displayed throughout the video, but encapsulated at 3:45.
- Watched this interview, realized the lisp was not a fluke, and thought she was so weirdly cool in a natural kid of way.
- Blasted “Oblivion” non-stop ever since. Sick song, sick video.
7 thoughts on “Grimes – “Oblivion””
Right here is the right site for anybody who wants to find out
about this topic. You know a whole lot its almost hard to
argue with you (not that I actually would want
to…HaHa). You certainly put a brand new spin on a topic which has been written about for decades.
Excellent stuff, just wonderful!
Thank you so much!
Hello! I’ve been following your blog for a long time now and
finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Austin Tx!
Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic work!
Thank you! It just makes me happy that people are reading and enjoying.
Magnificent site. Plenty of useful information here.
I am sending it to a few buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious.
And obviously, thank you for your effort!